Peer Model Applications
We have Filled the limited peer model spots available for the 2023-2024 school year. We are not currently enrolling additional students.
Starting February of 2024 you can fill out an application for the 2024-2025 school year. At that time, the peer application will be available on our district
The River Valley Local Preschool is mandated by the State of Ohio to provide special education services to children that have a disability.
Peers serve as models of age-appropriate skills for children demonstrating delays in their development.
For this reason, it is critical that peers demonstrate the skills listed below.
Completely toilet trained
Separates easily from parents
Able to follow rules and routines
Can attend to a preferred/self-directed activity for at least 8 to 10 minutes
Can attend to an adult-selected activity for at least 4-5 minutes
Plays with a variety of toys appropriately
Able to play beside and/or with other children while sharing the same bin of toys
Speaks in clear English sentences
Talks to other children while playing
Speech is clear and understandable by unfamiliar adults
Can understand and answer simple questions in English
Demonstrates an ability to use crayons, scissors and glue to complete a project
Is well-coordinated and able to walk, run, jump and climb
Peer tuition is $140 per month (September through May) for AM or PM sessions.
Preschool classes meet Monday-Friday. The River Valley Preschool Program follows the River Valley Local School District calendar, with the exception of March 10, 2023. This day is the Open House Day for our potential peers for the next school year.
Class Size and Make-up: a preschool classroom that serves both students with special needs and typical peers at a 50/50 ratio is called an integrated classroom. A preschool classroom can have up to 16 children and are staffed by an Early Childhood Intervention Specialist and a minimum of one assistant.
Sessions Times: 9:00-11:40AM or 1:00– 3:40PM. Parents will indicate on the peer application their preference of sessions times and to request a teacher.
Transportation: Parents/Guardians must provide all transportation to and from school. No bus transportation will be provided for peer models.
Please complete a peer application. If you are interested in having your child be considered to serve as a peer model within the River Valley Preschool Program, please go to the main preschool webpage and click on peer application which will be available in early February.
1. Submit an electronic peer application.
2. Your child’s application will be reviewed and you will receive an email in regards to whether or not your child meets the criteria. The potential student then will be invited to the Open House Day in March to visit.
3. If your child meets the criteria for the River Valley Preschool, in the spring, you will be offered a preschool spot in one of our preschool classrooms based on your session time and elementary school the child will attend. We will also take into consideration what you indicated in the peer application.
4. You will have 2 weeks to accept or decline the preschool classroom and session time assign.
5. If you accept, then you will be asked to sign a tuition agreement and will be provided steps to complete the registration process with the River Valley Local School District.
6. All preschool peers must be fully registered, completed required forms, and prove residency to attend preschool.